ENDED - .:mOCAS 2017:. (March) - This is madness

Rules:

• All common rules apply.
  • Use first characters of achievement names to create NCAA Division I school names (eg. VCU, CSU Bakersfield, Michigan).
  • Only names in parenthesis from this list will be accepted.
  • Non-alphanumeric characters in a school name should be ignored.
  • Each achievement can be used only once.
  • For achievements beginning with The, A or An use the next word instead.
  • You gain entries for each team, based on the tier it ends up in March Madness 2017 bracket:
    • First Round: 5 entries
    • Second Round: 10 entries
    • Sweet 16: 15 entries
    • Elite Eight: 20 entries
    • Final Four: 25 entries
    • National Champion: 30 entries
  • Enter by posting school names and link to your TrueAchievements profile page.

Clarifications:

• As always you have whole March to unlock achievements and 7 days in April to post your entries.
  • Losers from First Four do not give you any entries. First Round is the one with 64 teams. See official bracket for reference.

Updated: 2017-03-04 22:49 UTC

Entries:

• WeaselPizza - 460
  • MinPin - 145
  • Kingsman_2625 - 290
  • Tropan - 235
  • Xtowers - 315
  • Freamwhole - 90
  • LordChabelo13 - 115
  • Kez001 - 185
  • CSGeekSquad - 315
  • RADtech2448 - 390
  • Eliphelet77 - 335
  • Mark_B - 295
  • Matty.H - 20
  • spookyhurst - 80
  • RedHotSand - 270
  • jblacq - 70
  • doughboyee - 60
  • spankyNspronkle - 170
  • SaucySlingo - 150
  • PhillipWendell - 30
  • mattism - 105

Winner:

• Xtowers

This is such a great idea. For the less sports-fluent out there, this is a list of the current Top 25 rankings. These would be good teams to focus on as they’re more likely to make a deep run and get you more entries.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

I had a couple quick questions. The official name in parentheses for at least one school has the & symbol. Do we ignore it?
Also, do the play-in games count as first round? Since they changed to 68, the round numbers have changed, and I want to be sure.
Thanks!

Non-alphanumeric characters in a school name should be ignored.
Losers from First Four do not give you any entries. First Round is the one with 64 teams. See official bracket for reference.

Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. Now to start spelling William & Mary, since we’re taking it all this year!! :grinning:

Good luck with that :wink:

I’m just going to try and unlock a ton of achievements and sort things out during the last week of the month.

Are you picking one team or can you spell out multiple?

You can spell out any number of teams. The more achievements you get the more entries you can earn.

Do achievements with a number to start count as the first letter that shows up or are they invalid all together?

i.e. 10 Kills - Rise of Glory would count as a K or nothing at all.

Thanks for noticing the issue. I changed the rules from “first letter” to “first character”. So in case of “10 Kills - Rise of Glory” unfortunately you can’t use it for ‘K’.

Can we reuse achievements for different names, or must we have unique achievements for each name we spell? I’m guessing we can’t use the same achievement twice, but I want to be sure as I didn’t see it specified.

You are correct - each achievement can be used only once.

This may be the most overly convoluted thing I have ever seen. :slight_smile:

So far I have…
A list of 351 American universities who play basketball in something called NCAA Division I.
An empty bracket for some kind of single elimination tournament comprising 68 teams, of which 64 will score for this contest.

When will the 68 universities which are actually in the tournament be known? Are any guaranteed to be there as of today?

Selection Sunday is March 12, which is when all the teams will be announced. Between now and then, all the conference tournaments will be occurring, and the winner of each is guaranteed a spot. The smaller conferences and mid-majors, who are unlikely to advance as far, have those tournaments this weekend, and the major ones next weekend. The remaining spots, called at-large bids, won’t be known until the 12th, but if someone is in the top 20 or so of rankings that someone mentioned above, they’re almost positive to get in as well. Don’t completely rely on the RPI rankings, though, as the committee takes other factors into consideration. Clear as mud?

tl;dr The teams are announced 3/12

I like the idea of this…may give it a try…not looking forward to posting all the links!!

Rules just got updated: Enter by posting school names and link to your TrueAchievements profile page.

Brilliant news :slight_smile:

Here are the first four conference winners -

FGCU - projected 13 seed
Winthrop - projected 14 seed
Wichita State - projected 11 seed
Jacksonville State - projected 16 seed

Keep in mind though - some of these teams may be in the “First Four” that play before the main tournament and may not count in this competition.

Just to clarify, do we need to post the names before the rounds happen to get those points? Or if we wait and post the name of a team in the Final Four, would we get all the previous points as well?