Get To Know Your Glorious Admin: zzUrbanSpaceman (Tarragon)

• Explain your gamer tag - what does it mean and how do you pronounce it correctly?

I thought I was so clever.

I knew it would be hard to find a cool gamertag. I wanted something that was unique, kind of obscure, but relevant to the things I liked. Being a fan of Monty Python, I had recently watched Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl, and one part stuck out in particular: Neil Innes and Carol Cleveland performing I’m the Urban Spaceman. It’s very silly, and pretty obscure unless you know your Monty Python or Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band).

I thought I was on a winner: “Urban Spaceman”. Nobody will have thought of that! Keep in mind this is back in 2004, shortly before Halo 2 released on the Xbox (ORIGINAL!).

I set up my account, entered “Urban Spaceman” as the gamertag … taken! WHAT?!? OKOKOK let’s try “UrbanSpaceman” … taken! AAAARGH! FINE I’LL PAD IT OUT THEN “zzUrbanSpaceman”. Gamertag accepted.

And it’s been that way ever since.

I pronounce it “Zed Zed Urban Spaceman”.

Why Z? Because Z is cool. :wink:

• Tell us a little about yourself:

I currently work as a developer and systems administrator (“DevOps”) for a small startup company involved in online banking. I live in Australia (Melbourne area), and have done for all my life. I’ve been in the tech industry for about 20 years, and have been tinkering with computers for over 30. As you can guess, I’m slightly older on the gamer scale, clocking in at 41 years as of 2016 (42 in October).

I have been in a relationship with my loving and patient partner Chloe for about 11 years. We do not plan on having children. She likes gaming too, but is not into achievements.

Outside of gaming, I like programming, tinkering with hardware (ask me about my Guitar Hero bot some time), some retro gaming. I’m a strong advocate of equal rights and social justice issues, in particular women’s rights; I consider myself a feminist. I’m also an on again/off again racing car enthusiast, particularly Formula 1.

• When and how did you get into achievements?

I enjoyed the concept of achievements since the very first one unlocked on my profile in Hexic HD in 2007, but I didn’t actively hunt them until 2012, around when I hit 50k GS. I was seriously bitten by the achievement bug, and started actively hunting down games just for the achievements, and in particular re-buying games I’d sold off but hadn’t completed so I could squeeze more gamerscore out of them. 2013 and 2014 and the GTASC (Great True Achievement Score Challenge) over on TrueAchievements also increased my gamerscore addiction.

• What’s your favorite genre?

I like many styles of games, but I would probably lean towards sandbox/adventure type games of the ilk of Assassin’s Creed or Red Dead Redemption.

• What type of gamer are you?

I will play anything. I like finding obscure games and adding them to my tag. I’m not a completionist in the sense that I do not care about completion percentage statistic, but will complete games if I can. I can be a bit obsessive with some games; my current obsession is Elite: Dangerous.

• What’s your favorite completion and why?

Dead Rising. 7 Day Survivor is a long and winding road, and I travelled it nearly three times over before I unlocked this achievement, for the completion.

• What is your least favorite completion and why?

NCIS. Extremely poor story that, as someone who has a passing familiarity with the TV show it’s based off, I found cringeworthy. The dialogue was very bad. On top of that the point and click sections were clunky and just bad; often the item you needed to find to progress the story wasn’t actually visible on screen, and you actually needed a guide to tell you where exactly this thing was in order to progress. There were some really pointless mini-games that had no relation to reality, and these were repeated endlessly to pad out the title. I was glad to be done with this one.

Podcast Review 8/10/16 by Big Ell!